Lucius W. Robinson, Executive of 
Rochester and Pittsburgh Coal Company


Lucius Waterman Robinson, 1855-1935, was an executive with the Rochester and Pittsburgh Coal Company for many years and served at various times as General Manager, Vice-President, President, and Chairman of the Board of the Company or one of its subsidiaries. Three coal towns in Indiana County were named after him: Luciusboro, Waterman.  The town of Robinson was not named after Lucius W. but instead named in 1902 for the Elliott Robinson family who resided in West Wheatfield township, Indiana County. 

In 1910, in his capacity as an executive with the Coal Company, he forestalled the sale of the Elder's Ridge Academy by paying the $3000 debt of this Young Township private school. Several year later, the Academy was converted into a state vocational school and enjoyed a number of years of statewide popularity.

Robinson privately owned the Coal Run Mining Company which, in 1912, established the town of Coal Run, located a few miles from McIntyre. He also purchased 6000 acres in the area of Elder's Ridge in 1901. In this area the Coal Company developed the coal towns of Iselin, and Whiskey Run. 



Photo courtesy: Eileen Mountjoy Cooper, The Rochester and Pittsburgh Coal Company: The First One Hundred Years
(Indiana, Pennsylvania: Rochester and Pittsburgh Coal Company, 1982), 57.

Clarence D. Stephenson, Indiana County, 175th Anniversary History, vol.2, 4 
(Indiana, Pennsylvania: Halldin Publishing Company, 1989, 1983), 191, 589. 362-364. 

Home Coal Company McIntyre