McIntyre Victory Garden


During World War II, Americans were encouraged by the government to plant "Victory Gardens." The produce was canned or preserved and helped to feed the family during the year. This is a typical McIntyre victory garden from 1943. During an earlier period, that of the Great Depression, the Coal Company encouraged the planting of gardens by sponsoring and awarding prizes to the best gardens in town. Since most of the immigrants to McIntyre came from rural areas in southern and eastern Europe, the techniques of planting and raising crops were well-known to them.  









Photo: courtesy Archives Department, Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Home Family & Town McIntyre