Employees in Front of Company Store, 1939
depended upon the company store for the purchase of groceries, furniture, mining
supplies, and other items. The store usually occupied the largest building in
town and was often wood framed and painted white although in some towns the
store was made of brick. In addition to its function as a store it also served
as a gathering spot for neighbors to mingle and talk. Railroad tracks were located at the back of the store
to enable easy unloading of newly ordered goods. Although there was little
competition, McIntyre did have a number of privately owned stores patronized by
residents. Residents in many company towns often complained to coal company
agents or to union representatives that the prices at the company stores were
too high. Until 1948 the Post Office was located in the Company Store.
Photo: courtesy Maynard "Red" Amond collection.