Byzantine Rite Catholic Church, Coal Run
Holy Cross Church was built in Coal Run in 1945. A number of residents of McIntyre and other nearby mining communities were members of the Byzantine Rite Catholic Church, also called the Eastern Catholic Church. This church follows the traditions of Orthodoxy but gives allegiance to the Pope. Stylistically, the church has two cupolas and a number of stained glass windows.
This church is located a few miles from McIntyre in the town of Coal Run. Coal Run
was also one of the seventeen mining towns controlled by the Rochester and
Pittsburgh Coal Company.
Photo: collection of the author