The barracks consisted of one long building, separated by common walls, with four rooms in each section. Originally built by the Coal Company to house single men, eventually the structure was rented to families.
Here a mother proudly displays her homemade pie to the camera as her child and other neighborhood kids look on. The berries or other fruit filling of the pie may have been picked locally.
This photo is from 1944.
Photo: courtesy Linda Arduini Ferrandiz collection