post office was established in 1911 and
was named after H. B. McIntire, a merchant and coal speculator who lived in the nearby town
of Jacksonville. His 1916 obituary indicates that the town of McIntyre was named for him.
The first McIntyre post office was housed in the company store until 1948. After that, it was located on the first floor of this building, along with a small grocery store. This building still serves as the town's post office.
Photo: courtesy Kevin Trenney collection.
Richard H. Quin, Indiana County, Pennsylvania: an Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites
(Washington, D.C.,: National Park Service, Department of the Interior, 1993), 80.