View of Town With Company Store and Rock Dump
The back of the company store, left center, and a rock
dump in the background can be seen in this 1941 partial view of the town. Shale
and other rock that was mined and then separated from the coal was called "boney" or mine
tailings. Over the years the dumping formed a large mound visible from many
points in town. Residents remember the rock dump catching fire and
the resulting smoke engulfing the town making visibility difficult.
Photo: courtesy Ed Swan collection.