Early House of Worship for Catholics
Before St. Gertrude's Catholic Church was built in 1918, residents attended Mass in this McIntyre private home. A priest from a church in a nearby coal town traveled to McIntyre to celebrate the Sunday service. The family who lived in the home took the collection and played the organ. A makeshift altar was located on the first floor. It was not until 1947 that the town received its first resident priest.
Photo: St. Gertrude's Golden Jubilee brochure, 1968