1910 Article From Newspaper Announcing
the Development of McIntyre, the "New Town"
This article appeared on the
first page of the Indiana Evening Gazette on August 25, 1910. The third paragraph mentions
the building of a company store as well as the moving of homes from the abandoned
coal mining town of Soldier in Jefferson County into a "new town" near
Jacksonville. That town was McIntyre. The Hyde-Murphy
Company was responsible for building many of the company houses for the
Rochester and Pittsburgh Coal Company. Some sentences have been highlighted for easier
Article: courtesy Indiana Gazette, Indiana, Pennsylvania
Richard H. Quin, Indiana County Pennsylvania: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites
(Washington D.C.: National Park Service, Department of the Interior, 1993), 80.