The Hyde-Murphy Company
of Ridgway, Pennsylvania, built many houses for the Coal Company such as this
abandoned one in McIntyre. Some houses were moved to McIntyre by train from Soldier,
a defunct Coal Company town in Jefferson County, Pennsylvania. A local contractor,
P. J. McGovern, was also awarded a contract from the Coal Company in 1910 for
the building of additional company houses in and around McIntyre.
Indiana Evening Gazette, Indiana,
Pennsylvania, 25 August 1910.
This photo is an example of a single-style house. It had two bedrooms on the second floor and three rooms on the first floor which included a shed kitchen that can be seen at the extreme right hand side of the photo. It also had a root cellar where meats, fruits, and vegetables canned by the housewife were stored. Although space was limited and families sometimes large, a number of families took in boarders for extra income. By 1928 McIntyre had grown to 55 double and 17 single houses.
Photo: collection of the author.
Richard H. Quin, Indiana County, Pennsylvania: an Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites
(Washington, D.C.,: National Park Service, Department of the Interior, 1993), 80-81.
Indiana Evening Gazette, Indiana, Pennsylvania, 25 August 1910.